The department of patrolling of the National Park of Schinias-Marathon acts based on a project of patrolling which the seven guards perform. The area of the National Park includes the zone A (A1, A2, A3, A4, A5) with a high level of protection and the zones B (B1,B2,B3), C with a low level of protection which controlled every day two times a day.
In order to control all the area of the National Park which is in the responsibility of the Management Board of Schinias Marathon Park two routes have been created which are modified depending on the needs that come up.
The patrolling of the area aims to eliminate the human activities that have negative effects to the protected area. Such activities are for example: illegal hunting, disturbance of places for breeding of birds, uncontrolled garbage disposal, illegal fishery.
At the period of the summer the patrols redoubled at the zone A and especially at the zones A3, A5, and B3 while at the period of winter and particularly during the hunting period at the zones A1 and A2.
The purpose of patrolling is the application of the legislative context that apply the National Park of Schinias –Marathon concerning the protection of the area based on the responsibilities according to law 2742/1999/General Ministerial Order 207/A’/07.10.1999 chapter 15.
The patrolling has mainly preventive, dissuasive and informing character. Specifically, the patrolling includes mostly the prevention and the confronting of the human activities which provoke negative impacts at the protected area.
To sum up, the aim of the Management Board of Schinias – Marathon through the patrolling is:
- The reduction of the illegal activities and as a consequence the protection of the National Park of Schinias- Marathon.
- The organization and the efficient function of the department of the patrolling of the Management Board of Schinias – Marathon through the application of the experience of the guards which has obtained in the last six years in issues in regard to illegal human activities.
- The monitoring of the flora and the fauna of the National Park.
- The monitoring of the application of the legislative context that impose the law and especially the Presidential Order of the National Park.
- The informing and the sensitization not only of the local society but also of the visitors for the values of the National Park and the protection of the area as much as the legislative context.
As a consequence, the department of the patrolling has the following duties: the patrolling, the informing, and the sensitization of the public and the registration of data.